Tips & Resources
Helpful Tips and Information
City of Saginaw Animal Services Officers would like to offer citizens some helpful tips that will help keep our animal friends and community safe and healthy.
- Vaccination for Rabies – The City of Saginaw and Texas health and safety codes require that all animals, (cats and dogs) to be vaccinated against rabies at the age of four (4) months old and vaccinated annually thereafter.
- Annual Registration – A registration tag can be purchased at Saginaw Animal Services on Monday -Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and/or Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., for $3.00 a tag. An optional 3 year registration tag may be purchased for $9.00 if you meet the requirements. This applies to both indoor and outdoor animals.
- Tags Required on Animals – All animals are required to have current rabies and city tags on them at all times to ensure the timely notification of owners in case your animal is lost or rescued by Animal Services.
- Number of Pets Allowed – City ordinances state that you can keep more than three (3) dogs or three (3) cats, and no person shall keep or harbor more than five (5) animals, either three (3) dogs and two (2) cats or two (2) dogs and three (3) cats, except in a properly licensed and zoned kennel, veterinarian clinic, or animal hospital.
- Restraint for Dogs – All dogs are required to be on a leash and in control of a competent person at all times when not in a secured enclosure (caged dog run, fenced-in backyard, the house, etc. The City does NOT allow animals to be tethered (leashed/chained to stationary objects).
- Impounded Animals – All impounded animals must be claimed by its owner within 72 hours or they are subject to adoption or a rescue group.
- Adoption – Pets are available for adoption at the Saginaw Animal Services and Adoption Center. The adopter agrees to have the animal spayed/neutered, provide current rabies vaccinations, and a current city registration (if a Saginaw resident). The adoption fee is $40.00 which includes a microchip.
- Microchips – Fee is $20.00.
- Traps Loaned – For nuisance animals only (feral cats, skunks, opossums, etc.). If you trap an animal, it must be either turned into Animal Services, or notify Animal Services for removal of the animal.
- Bites or Scratches – Must be reported within 24 hours. If a bite occurs between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday, then contact Animal Services. If after the hours, weekends or holidays, please notify the Saginaw Police Department at 8i7 -232-0311 and they will contact us.
- Wild Animals – lf you encounter a wild animal, contact Animal Services. Please let us know the type of animal, and location. Do not attempt to capture a wild animal on your own.