Art in the Community Program
About the Keep Saginaw Beautiful Public Visual Arts Program
The Keep Saginaw Beautiful (KSB) facilitates the development of public art within the City of Saginaw, Texas, recognizing that art is integral to the vibrancy of the community. The KSB ensures that all public art contributions to the City complement the buildings and neighborhoods with which they are associated, and that they are guided by the current strategies for economic development and tourism, enhancing neighborhood and community identity, and educating children and adults.
The KSB reviews applications for the creation of public art within the City including, but not limited to:
- The erection, painting and/or installation of murals;
- Oversees the commission and creation of artwork where appropriate on municipal and private property;
- Advises the Mayor and Council, as well as other agencies of the City, with regards to matters which affect the creation of public art within the City;
- Develops and regularly reviews a public art plan and guidelines
Public Visual Art Policy and Procedures
- Click here to download/view
The City of Saginaw desires policies and procedures to encourage the display of public visual art within the City and to provide a mechanism for the inclusion of public art through the city in specific parks and outdoor public open spaces.
The purpose of this policy is to establish a Saginaw Art in the Community Program through which the City of Saginaw can acquire and accept artwork by commission, on loan or as a gift. This policy establishes the goals and objectives of the City’s Saginaw Art in the Community Program and provides guidelines for acquiring existing artwork, commissioning artists to create new artwork for the City and sponsoring temporary art exhibits on City property. The policy applies to the acquisition and exhibition of all artwork loaned, donated to, purchased by, or commissioned by the City of Saginaw.
The Approval Process
- IDEA PHASE: Phase must be further developed and clearly explained in the for of a design proposal.
- PROPOSAL PHASE: Applicants must develop and submit a design proposal to the Keep Saginaw Beautiful Visual Arts Program.
- REVIEW PHASE: All design proposals are reviewed by the Keep Saginaw Beautiful Committee, firstly.
- If the design proposal is approved, the proposal will be forwarded to the Saginaw Mayor and City Council for consideration or approval at an upcoming regularly scheduled City Council Meeting and the artist will be contacted.
- If the design proposal is NOT approved, the artist will be contacted. In special cases, proposals must be submitted to additional review bodies before approval can be sought.
- APPROVAL PHASE: After an applicant has submitted a design proposal to the review bodies and has received a confirmation written letter/email from the review bodies, the applicant has the authorization to commence execution of the art project at the proposed location. The art project’s composition shall be consistent with the visual concepts, materials and location presented in the design proposal. Deviation from the design proposal could result in citations and removal of the art project.
LINK TO PHOTOS
|Original Fire Station Mural||Paint on Cinder Block||Northwest Plumbing
109 N. Saginaw Blvd
|Adam Davenport||2020||Click Here|
|Painted Manholes #2||Paint on Concrete||Willow Creek Park||Erica Rosa||2019||Click Here|
|Painted Manholes #1||Paint on Concrete||Willow Creek Park||Erica Rosa||2019||Click Here|
|Painted Drainage Outflow||Paint on Concrete||Willow Creek Park||Erica Rosa||2019||Click Here|
|Welcome Mural||Paint on Concrete||Ardent Mills Elevator||Unknown||2019||Click Here|
|Wrapped Traffic Control Boxes #2||Wrapping||Throughout Saginaw||Images of Saginaw||2019||Click Here|
|Wrapped Traffic Control Boxes||Wrapping||Throughout Saginaw||Images of Saginaw||2017||Click Here|