- Animal Services & Adoption Center
- Tips, Resources and Information
Tips, Resources and Information
Helpful Tips and Information
City of Saginaw Animal Services Officers would like to offer citizens some helpful tips that will help keep our animal friends and community safe and healthy.
- Vaccination for Rabies – The City of Saginaw and Texas health and safety codes require that all animals, (cats and dogs) to be vaccinated against rabies at the age of four (4) months old and vaccinated annually thereafter.
- Annual Registration – A registration tag can be purchased at Saginaw Animal Services on Monday -Thursday from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and/or Saturdays from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., for $10.00 a tag. An optional 3-year registration tag may be purchased for $30.00 if you meet the requirements. This applies to both indoor and outdoor animals.
- Tags Required on Animals – All animals are required to have current rabies and city tags on them at all times to ensure the timely notification of owners in case your animal is lost or rescued by Animal Services.
- Number of Pets Allowed – City ordinances state that you can keep more than three (3) dogs or three (3) cats, and no person shall keep or harbor more than five (5) animals, either three (3) dogs and two (2) cats or two (2) dogs and three (3) cats, except in a properly licensed and zoned kennel, veterinarian clinic, or animal hospital.
- Restraint for Dogs – All dogs are required to be on a leash and in control of a competent person at all times when not in a secured enclosure (caged dog run, fenced-in backyard, the house, etc. The City does NOT allow animals to be tethered (leashed/chained to stationary objects).
- Impounded Animals – All impounded animals must be claimed by its owner within 72 hours or they are subject to adoption or a rescue group.
- Adoption – Pets are available for adoption at the Saginaw Animal Services and Adoption Center. The adopter agrees to have the animal spayed/neutered, provide current rabies vaccinations, and a current city registration (if a Saginaw resident). The adoption fee is $40.00 plus any additional medical costs.
- Microchips – Fee is $20.00 for residents and/or non-residents.
- Traps Loaned – Contact Animal Services at 817-230-0460 for more information.
- Bites or Scratches – Must be reported within 24 hours. If a bite occurs between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday, then contact Animal Services. If after the hours, weekends or holidays, please notify the Saginaw Police Department at 8i7 -232-0311 and they will contact us.
- Wild Animals – lf you encounter a wild animal, contact Animal Services. Please let us know the type of animal, and location. Do not attempt to capture a wild animal on your own.
Animals must be protected from the elements of snow, cold, rain and the searing Texas heat. Though we may not be thinking of the Texas heat right now, the weather here changes on a dime. With this in mind consider leaving your pet at home when taking trips to the store to prevent a tragic event. Remember that all animals are required to have clean food, water and shelter. Please help Animal Services Officers keep our animals safe by adhering to these regulations and recommendations and by utilizing the services provided.
Tips for Pet Owners
The following documents provide tips on pet care:
The following services are provided by the animal shelter for Saginaw residents:
For additional information, please view the following resources: